Saturday, August 17, 2013

If you open a Hoagie shop, You should know what goes into a hoagie

Let me start by clarifying that i was raised in South Phila.  I'm old school South Philly - Irish Catholic, and I grew up on Hoagies, Cheesesteaks and pizza (oh and spaghetti with "red sauce").

So, why is it, these days, you go to your favorite "hoagie" shop and ask for a hoagie, and they ask what you want on it?  Do you want tomatoes, lettuce, onions, oregano, oil/vinegar or mayo?

 Let's set the record straight - lettuce, tomato and oregano are GIVENS.  They should automatically go on EVERY hoagie.  Onions are optional in my book and so is mayo but NOT mayo mixed with oil and vinegar.  If I say American hoagie, I want mayo, the non-spicy ham and american cheese.

 If I say Italian hoagie, I want oil and vinegar or hoagie dressing (a recent hybrid sold in some delis) and the spicy capacole and provolone cheese.  .

If you don't know what goes on a Hoagie, move back to NYC and make your stupid sandwiches there.

Here's a recipe for an Italian Hoagie..don't forget to drizzle some olive oil on the roll first and then put the other ingredients, red pepper, a pinch of oregano (chopped oregano) and some red wine vinegar..just a dribble  and then

1/4 lb prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
1/4 lb capicola, thinly sliced
1/4 lb genoa salami or 1/4 lb soprassata salami, thinly sliced
1/4 lb provolone cheese
top with shredded lettuce
1/4 lb provolone cheese
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced (I prefer the onion pulled into raw rings and cut in half and sprinkled throught the lenght of the hoagie.)

Time for lunch!!

PS this rant was brought to you by yet another Hoagie Shop employee asking, "ya want tomatoes and let_us on that?" DUH it's a hoagie right??? Of course I do.

1 comment:

mymomsbooks said...

I'm hungry, sounds so yummy!